Using a neuropsychological lens to interpret data, an individual program design is built from a comprehensive analysis of Psychoeducational or Neuropsychological and Educational Assessment Report, and other documents such as school reports, medical reports, etc. From this a personalized targeted teaching program emerges from the data that fits each client like a glove.
- While a current (within 2 years) Psychoeducational or Neuropsychological report is useful in tagging levels of programs directly, it is not essential. However, if a current assessment is needed the VLC will provide appropriate referrals.
- Using whatever information is available, including information from interviews, Dr. Schwartz will develop targeted individualized programs for each learner.
This program is then integrated and coordinated with classroom expectations, home-schooling programs and distance education institution curricula, or IEP and academic requirements to achieve credits and credentials.
At the VLC, we now know the brain is neuroplastic and can improve in skills and function when a different, strategic approach to teaching is undertaken. The VLC’s individually designed, strategic, targeted program addresses its signature programs and services to the root cause of learning difficulties and developmental delay, or to produce a thriving and flourishing outcome that enhances the performance of a gifted learner, in each case in 5 ways:
- We establish goals and potential academic destinations by identifying and using the learners’ strengths.
- We address weaknesses (below grade level performance) by building new skill platforms in areas of weakness using a different approach to teaching them.
- We integrate both of the above by building success and learning independence into current and future learning by the array of neurocognitive and academic programs and services set forth in each individual program at age appropriate levels
- The VLC’s Learning to Learn signature programs and services are taught at appropriate age and grade level so they can be used to grow strengths to challenge levels to:
- Build skills to grade level
- Work directly on emotional strength and regulation to inspire more mature behaviour and independence as a learner
- Look ahead at their academic challenges directly (Week-Ahead Program) and use teaching, coaching and practice strategies to reduce their challenges to manageable levels