The VLC system is unique and has had large numbers of successful and transformative outcomes as it approaches the completion of 4 decades of service in September 2020.
Each VLC learner is surrounded by a team of teachers headed by a captain. Each program is specially designed for the individual student by the psychologist and is based-on the detailed information that emerges when a neuropsychological lens is placed on the data available. Detailed instructions on how to teach to a student’s strengths are provided in a multi-year program.
A comprehensive analysis of Psychoeducational or Neuropsychological and Educational Assessment, and other documents such as school reports, medical reports, etc. provide data on which the platform of an individualized program can be built.
- While a current (within 2 years) Psychoeducational or Neuropsychological report is useful in tagging levels of programs directly, it is not essential. However, if a current assessment is needed the VLC will provide appropriate referrals.
- Using whatever information is available, including information from interviews, Dr. Schwartz will develop targeted individualized programs for each learner.
This program is then integrated and coordinated with classroom expectations, home-schooling programs and distance education institution curricula, or IEP and academic requirements to achieve credits and credentials.
At the VLC, we now know the brain is neuroplastic and can improve in skills and function when a different, strategic approach to teaching is undertaken. The VLC’s individually designed, strategic, targeted program addresses its signature programs and services to the root cause of learning difficulties and developmental delay, or to produce a thriving and flourishing outcome that enhances the performance of a gifted learner, in each case in four ways:
- We establish goals and potential academic destinations by identifying and using the learners’ strengths.
- We address weaknesses (below grade level performance) by building new skill platforms in areas of weakness using a different approach to teaching them.
- We integrate both of the above by building success and learning independence into current and future learning by the array of neurocognitive and academic programs and services set forth in each individual program at age appropriate levels
- The VLC’s Learning to Learn signature programs and services are taught at appropriate age and grade level so they can be used to grow strengths to challenge levels to:
- Build skills to grade level
- Work directly on emotional strength and regulation to inspire more mature behaviour and independence as a learner
- Look ahead at their academic challenges directly (Week-Ahead Program) and use teaching, coaching and practice strategies to reduce their challenges to manageable levels